Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

As a Canadian citizen living in Canada, can I apply for an eTA for my non-Canadian relative or friend who lives abroad?

Yes, a Canadian citizen may help a non-Canadian relative or friend apply for an eTA. You will need to indicate at the start of the form that you are completing the form for your relative or friend.

When you start the application form:

  • Answer “yes” to “Are you a representative or a parent/guardian applying on behalf of an eTA applicant?
    • If your relative or friend is less than 18 years old, answer “yes” to “Are you applying on behalf of a minor child?”
  • You will then see a screen that asks for some information about yourself. Once you complete that section, you will be brought to the application form itself, where you can enter your relative or friend’s information.
  • On this screen (the application form), make sure to:
    • enter all details correctly (particularly your relative or friend’s passport number); and
    • enter your relative or friend’s email address in the Contact Details section so that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) can communicate directly with them about their application.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: