Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

How do I change employers?

To change employers, you must apply to change the conditions of your work permit.

Before you apply, you need some information and documents from your new employer. What you need will depend on if the employer needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire you.

If your employer needs an LMIA

Your employer must give you:

  • a new job offer letter
  • a new LMIA number, and
  • a new contract signed by you and your future employer

If you work in Quebec, you will also need a new Québec Acceptance Certificate.

If your employer doesn’t need an LMIA

Your employer must give you the offer of employment number they received when they submitted your offer of employment.

Employer compliance exemptions

Some LMIA-exempt employers don’t need to submit an offer of employment. Find out how to get a work permit for these jobs.

Live-in caregivers and International Experience Canada participants have different instructions for changing employers.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: