Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

There’s a strike at my designated learning institution, and I can’t start or continue my studies. What does that mean for my status as a study permit holder?

This situation is beyond your control, and your status as a study permit holder should not be affected. As a result of the strike, you will

  • not face any penalty or enforcement action because you can’t pursue your studies during this time
  • be able to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week if your study permit allows you to work (and also work full-time during regular breaks such as winter holidays and reading week)
  • still be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

You must continue to have valid status as a student in Canada to be able to return to class after the labour dispute is resolved. If you need to apply to extend your study permit during the strike, include a letter from the registrar of your designated learning institution that confirms that the strike has stopped you from attending school and pursuing your studies.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: