Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Once I get my work permit under this accelerated process for refugee claimants in Canada, how do I apply for a Social Insurance Number?

When you get your work permit, you must then apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can do this online, by mail or in person at a Service Canada Centre.

You must provide documents to support your SIN application, including

  • a work permit
  • a secondary document

Examples of acceptable secondary documents:

  • passport
  • Canadian provincial or territorial identification card or driver’s license
  • acknowledgement of claim document
  • refugee protection claimant document
  • any other Canadian government-issued identification

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Date modified: