Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
You can bring family members with you to Canada if they were processed for permanent residence as your dependents. This includes:
- your spouse or common-law partner
- your dependent child
- your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent child
- a dependent child of a dependent child
The family members that can’t come with you include:
- your parents
- brother or sister
- uncle or aunt
- nephew or niece
- other relatives
Your dependents can’t arrive in Canada before you. They must arrive with you or after you.
You may be able to sponsor them after you immigrate to Canada.
Find out more about how to sponsor your family.
Answers others found useful
- What is a complex family sponsorship application?
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
- How can I include a dependent child on my application?
- I already became a permanent resident. Can I still add my dependent child to my application?
- What counts as income for sponsoring my parents and grandparents?
- What’s considered social assistance when sponsoring my parents and grandparents?
- What proof do I need for changes to my information after I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents?
- What if my birth certificate is different from other documents (or I don’t have one)?
- I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents, but didn’t get an email confirmation. How do I get it?
- Will you refuse my application if I put a different parent than on my interest to sponsor form?
- Do I need a marriage certificate for my parents/grandparents sponsorship application?
- I’m sponsoring my parent. I don’t know where their separated spouse is. How do I apply?
- Do I include time on parental leave in my employment history for sponsoring my parents?
- What do I put for the date of birth (or death) of my family member if I don’t know it?
- How can I quickly get information about my Canadian citizenship to sponsor parents/grandparents?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: