For my spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
Your common-law partner:
- isn’t legally married to you
- can be either sex
- is 18 or older
- has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, meaning:
- you’ve been living together continuously for one year, without any long periods apart
- if either of you left your home it was for:
- family obligations
- work or business travel
- any time spent away from each other must have been:
When at least one partner chooses to end the relationship, we consider the partnership to be over.
You will need to give proof of your common-law relationship.
Thank you for your feedback
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: