Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Do I need a visa if I’m just travelling through Canada on my way to another country?

The document you need to transit through Canada depends on a few factors, including if you plan to visit Canada.

You can answer a few questions to find the document you need to transit through Canada.

Visa-required travellers

You’re considered a visa-required traveller if you’re from a visa-required country.

You need a visitor visa if:

  • you visit Canada (even if you’re travelling by air and it’s for less than 48 hours)
  • stay in Canada more than 48 hours while transiting, or
  • you’re crossing the border by:
    • bus
    • car
    • train
    • boat
    • cruise ship

You need a transit visa if:

  • your international flight stops at a Canadian airport on its way to another country
  • you’ll be connecting between 2 international flights at a Canadian airport
  • you’ll transit through Canada in 48 hours or less, and
  • you don’t have a valid visitor visa

Visa-exempt travellers

You’re considered a visa-exempt traveller if you’re from an eTA-required country.

You need an eTA to transit through Canada by air if you’re from an eTA-required country.

You don’t need an eTA if you’re transiting through Canada and you enter by train, bus, boat or cruise ship. You do need to bring the right travel documents.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How-to video

A Step-by-step look at biometrics

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: