Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

How can I extend my stay as a worker?

You should apply as early as possible (at least 30 days) before your current work permit expires if you want to extend your stay as a worker in Canada.

For more information on extending your stay as a worker, visitor or student, see

Steps your employer may need to take

Your employer may need to apply for a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada that says the employer is allowed to hire you.

If you’re exempt from the LMIA process, your employer will need to pay the employer compliance fee and submit a new offer of employment through the Employer Portal.

For more information, see Extend a temporary worker’s permit.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: