Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

As an international student, can I work in Canada without a work permit?

Changes to off-campus work hours

You may be eligible to work more than 20 hours per week off campus under a temporary public policy. Find out if you meet the requirements.


If you have a study permit and are enrolled full-time in an eligible institution:

If you have a study permit and are enrolled full-time in an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution:

If you receive your study permit after June 1:

  • your study permit will indicate if you are able to work off campus. If so, you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week while:
  • your program is in session, and
  • full-time during scheduled breaks in the academic calendar.

You may work for any employer in Canada who is not on the ineligible employer list.

You must have the appropriate work permit in order to take part in a co-op or internship program. You also must apply for a post-graduation work permit in order to work in Canada after your studies. For more details, see Work Permits for Students.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: