What should I do if my new permanent resident card has a mistake or something is missing?
If we made the mistake, you can apply for a reissued permanent resident (PR) card.
If either your given name or your surname has more than 28 letters, the name appearing on the PR card will be shortened. This is not a mistake and the card will not be reissued to change the name.
For cards issued before November 21, 2015, names are limited to:
- first name: 15 letters or less
- last name: 20 letters or less
For cards issued on or after November 21, 2015, names are limited to:
- first name: 28 letters or less
- last name: 28 letters or less
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my PR card?
- Date modified: