Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can I use the government-funded language program I took to prove that I meet the citizenship language requirement?

Yes, you can use a federal or provincial language program to prove that you meet the language requirement for your citizenship application.

Federal language program

When you submit your citizenship application, you need to include a language certificate from a

  • Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) course, or
  • Cours de langue pour les immigrants au Canada (CLIC)

Your results for speaking and listening skills must be equal to either a language level 4 or higher of the

  • Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), or
  • Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC)

If you did your training

  • on or after November 1, 2012, submit a copy of your certificate with your application
  • between January 1, 2008, and October 31, 2012, either
    • submit a copy of your certificate, or
    • check the appropriate box in your application if you don’t have your certificate

Provincial language program

We also accept results from language programs in

Submit a certificate or report card from the program. It must show that you completed the training at a CLB/NCLC level 4 or higher (or equivalent).

See the complete list of acceptable documents if you apply as

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful


Forms and Guides

Glossary term

Date modified: