Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I want to work in a job that requires a medical exam, but I already have my work permit or authorization. What do I do?

Ukrainian nationals and their family members in Canada

If you need to apply for a work permit, extend your work permit or remove the conditions on it, follow these special instructions.

Who are these instructions for?

You can use the instructions on this page if one of these cases applies to you:

If you haven’t left your country of residence yet

You must

  • get an upfront medical exam
    • An exam is considered “upfront” if you get it before a migration officer asks you to.
  • bring proof that you’ve had a medical exam and give it to the border services officer when you enter Canada
    • The proof you need is the printed “information sheet” you’ll get from the panel physician who performed the medical exam.

The border services officer will then be able to adjust the conditions of your work or study permit before giving it to you.

Make sure your medical exam results have been updated

The results of your medical exam may not appear in the system right away. The migration officer must see the results in the system before giving you the new work or study permit. Exam results are usually processed within 30 days. However, the processing sometimes takes longer. If you want to confirm that your results are in the system, you can contact your migration office through our web form.

If you’re already in Canada

If you’re in Canada, you have an open work permit or a work authorization on your study permit, and you want to lift the job restrictions, you must

  • get an upfront medical exam
    • An exam is considered “upfront” if you get it before the case processing centre asks you to.
  • include a short letter that explains why you need the restriction removed (to work in a job that requires an exam)
    • If you are applying online, include this letter when you are asked to upload your documents.

If you’re a work permit holder, you must

  • submit an application to change your work permit conditions, with all the required documents
    • On the IMM 5710 form, for 1 a) under “Details of intended work in Canada”, select “Other”.
    • Also on the IMM 5710 form, for 1 b) under “Other”, write that you need the conditions removed (not authorized to work in childcare, primary/secondary school teachings, health service field occupations).

If you’re a study permit holder, you must

  • apply to change your study permit conditions
    • On the IMM 5709 form, check the box next to Apply for a study permit for the first time or extend my study permit and fill out the rest of the required fields.

Employer-specific work permit holders

If you want to work in a job that requires a medical exam, you must apply for a new work permit.

Note: If you’re applying under International Experience Canada (IEC), you must follow the IEC instructions.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: