Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.
If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:
- make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
- be a permanent resident (when you apply)
- not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
- bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily
We usually only mail letters, notices and other documents to addresses in Canada. In some cases, you may receive an email from us. You must reply to these letters or emails within a specified amount of time. If you don’t reply within the time frame and don’t provide an acceptable reason for not being able to keep your appointment with us or providing requested information, we may stop processing your application.
You must attend appointments and other events at our offices, like your:
- citizenship test (for applicants 18 to 54 years of age)
- interview or hearing
These events only take place in Canada. If you can’t attend the appointment or event, you must either e-mail or write to the local office that sent you the event notice. You can also use the online web form to contact us.
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
- My application has been returned, because it’s incomplete. Do I have to recalculate my physical presence (time lived in Canada)?
Form and guide
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Adult
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Minor applying with parent or guardian
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Minor applying alone
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Adopted person
- Application for Canadian citizenship – Stateless person born to a Canadian parent
- Application for Canadian Citizenship – Canadian Armed Forces
- Date modified: