Will I get my permanent resident card by mail?
I am a new permanent resident living inside Canada
Yes. If you are a new permanent resident, you will get your permanent resident (PR) card by mail.
I am already a permanent resident living inside Canada
Probably. Most permanent residents in Canada replacing or renewing their PR card will receive it by mail. However, we may ask you to pick it up at a local IRCC office. If you need to pick up your card, we will contact you to schedule an appointment. If you cannot go to your appointment, you can reschedule it with the local office. If you do not pick up your card within 180 days, we will destroy it and you will have to re-apply.
I am a permanent resident living outside of Canada
No. We do not mail PR cards outside of Canada. If you need to return to Canada and your PR card has expired or been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a permanent resident travel document. It is only valid for one re-entry. You can apply for your PR card when you return to Canada.
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my PR card?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: