I’m sponsoring my spouse or common-law partner. Can they work while their application is being processed?
Yes, but only if they have a work permit.
Your sponsored spouse or partner can apply for an open work permit if
- they’re living with you, in Canada, and
- we’ve confirmed their application for permanent residence is complete
While your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, they must
- maintain legal status as a temporary resident in Canada, and
- wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work
- If they already have a work permit that is expiring, they can keep working as long as they maintain their status as a worker.
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Can I hold 2 valid work permits at the same time?
Form and guide
- Date modified: