Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I've applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?

Yes. You can leave Canada and return as long as your visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is still valid. If your visitor visa or eTA is expired, you must apply for and receive a new one before you leave.


There’s only one exception to this. You may be able to re-enter Canada with an expired visitor visa (not an expired eTA) if:

  • you only visit the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon and
  • you return to Canada before your study permit expires.

When you return to Canada

If your study permit is still valid, or we extended your permit while you were away, we may let you enter as a student.

If we’re still processing your study permit extension, we may let you enter as a visitor. In this case, you can’t study until you get your extended study permit. The officer at the port of entry may also ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.

A border officer may have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. If the officer believes there’s reason to refuse your re-entry, you won’t be able to re-enter Canada. The officer may ask you for a copy of your extension application, the fee payment receipt, or any other document to prove you applied for an extension.

If you’re from the United States, Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon

You can re-apply for a new study permit and pay the fees at the port of entry if you’re a:

  • citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
  • resident of Greenland, or
  • resident of St. Pierre and Miquelon.

Doing this means you’ll get your study permit faster. Once you’re in Canada, you must withdraw your previous application to extend your study permit. Use our web form and select ‘Withdrawal of application’ under Type of application/enquiry.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: