My IEC work permit is expiring. Can I stay in Canada if I apply to extend my stay?
You can stay in Canada if you maintain your status as a temporary resident of Canada.
How to maintain your status
To maintain your status, before your work permit expires, you must apply
- to extend your current IEC participation
- for another type of work permit (not IEC)
- to extend your stay as a student or
- to extend your stay as a visitor
Applying for a new IEC participation?
You do not maintain your status in Canada if you apply for a new IEC participation. If you want to stay in Canada while you wait for a decision on your new IEC participation, you must apply to extend your stay as a visitor before your work permit expires. You must stop working while you wait.
Who doesn’t maintain their status
You don’t maintain your status if you
- apply to extend your IEC participation after your work permit expires
- you must stop working on the day your work permit expires
- apply for a new IEC participation
- submitted your profile to an IEC pool and are waiting for an invitation to apply
- apply to extend your stay as a student or visitor after your work permit expires
Find out what to do if your work permit expired before you applied to extend it.
Who can work while waiting for a decision
If you applied to extend your stay in Canada as a worker, you’re authorized to keep working until we finalize your application. However, you can only keep working if
- you held a valid work permit when you applied
- you’ll work under the same conditions of your original work permit
- for example, you’ll work for the same employer if you have an employer-specific work permit
- you stay in Canada
If you applied for a study permit or a visitor record, you’ll maintain your status as a temporary resident but you must stop working once your work permit expires.
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- Can I come to Canada before I receive my POE Letter?
- What type of insurance do I need for International Experience Canada?
- Can I change employers if I have an International Experience Canada work permit?
- Can I extend my International Experience Canada work permit?
- Can I stay in Canada as a tourist after my work permit expires?
- Date modified: