Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

How can I show a potential employer I’m allowed to work while I wait for my post-graduation work permit?

You can show a potential employer you’re allowed to work by giving them a copy of all of the following documents:

  • proof that you completed your program(s) of study, such as
    • the official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program or
    • an official transcript or a copy of your transcript from your school’s website
  • a copy of your study permit
    • To be allowed to work right away, your permit should say: “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w); must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”
  • a copy of the acknowledgement of receipt from your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) application, if you applied online
    • To be allowed to work right away, the acknowledgement of receipt must have been received before your study permit expired
  • a copy of your WP-EXT for PGWP (IMM 0127 E) letter (if you received one) to prove you’re authorized to keep working, even if the 120-day validity period has expired
    • If you need proof of authorization to continue working, you can ask for it by using our web form.

You can use these documents to work only until a decision is made on your application.

If your application for a PGWP is rejected or refused, you need to stop working as soon as we notify you.

If you don’t, any future work or study permits may not be approved, and you may be asked to leave the country.

Check current processing times for PGWPs.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: