Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I have reclaimed my Indigenous name. How do I update my PR card?

If you’ve reclaimed your Indigenous name, you can change the name on your PR card by applying for a new one. There’s no cost for this change until May 31, 2026.

When you apply, include either an eligibility form or a Statutory Declaration, depending on your situation.

Include an eligibility form [IRM 0004] (PDF, 1.82 MB) if you either

  • amended your birth certificate or
  • have a legal change of name document

Include a Statutory Declaration [IRM 0005] (PDF, 1.82 MB) if you

  • are applying for a free replacement PR card and
  • can’t amend your birth certificate or get a legal change of name document
    • you’ll also need to include proof you can’t get these documents (for example, a rejection letter from your province or territory)

We’ll use these forms to find if you’re eligible for a free replacement card.

You’ll have to pay the usual fees if

  • you’re applying for your first PR card
  • you’ve declared your PR card lost, stolen or damaged

Apply for, renew or replace a Permanent Resident card

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: