Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Do I need a permit to study in Canada?

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Some people in specific situations may not. Learn more about who needs a study permit.

You should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Only some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. Before you apply, you must have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution in Canada.

How you can apply for a study permit depends on if you’re applying from outside Canada, inside Canada or at the port of entry. Find out what options are available for you.

Your study permit isn’t a travel document. Your permit lets you study in Canada, but you may also need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. If we approve your study permit, we’ll also give you either a visitor visa or an eTA, depending on which document you need. This document will let you enter Canada.

Find out more about how to apply for a study permit.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: