Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

How can I get a certificate of qualification from a provincial, territorial or federal body for the Federal Skilled Trades Program?

In Canada, provinces and territories

  • are in charge of education and training, including skilled trades apprenticeships
  • usually decide on the standards and conditions used to assess and recognize foreign credentials for certain trades

The regulatory body that governs trades in a province or territory

  • must assess your training, trade experience and skills
  • decides if you are eligible to write an exam to be certified

To get a certificate of qualification, you

  • will likely have to physically go to the specific province or territory to write the certification exam
  • may need an employer in Canada to give you training and work experience before you are allowed to write the exam

If your trade is not regulated by a province or territory (for example, airplane mechanic), it may be federally regulated. The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials provides information on credential assessment for all regulated trades in Canada.

Contact the provincial, territorial or federal regulatory body for more information.

Note: Completing an Express Entry profile is the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker. Completing an Express Entry profile does not guarantee that you will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence. An invitation to apply for permanent residence is based on your score and rank in the Express Entry pool, using the Comprehensive Ranking System.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: