I want to take language or prerequisite classes. Can I apply through the Student Direct Stream?
Yes. You can apply for a study permit through the Student Direct Stream if you want to take English or French language or prerequisite classes.
We’ll only process your study permit through this faster stream if you meet all the eligibility requirements. If you don’t, we’ll review it as a regular study permit. You won’t get faster processing if this happens.
If you’re taking classes required to get into a longer study program
If you have a conditional letter of acceptance or are taking a prerequisite class or bridging program:
- your class must be at least 6 months long
- your letter of acceptance must identify your class or program as being a prerequisite or bridging program, and
- your main study program must:
- lead to a degree, diploma or certificate, and
- be at least 6 months long
Thank you for your feedback
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
- What do I do if the school I’m studying at loses its designated learning institution status?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: